Monday, June 18, 2007

Back in the Saddle

Sorry for the delay, the pre-summer has been busy with birthday parties graduation parties and a wedding. But allow me to ease back into the hot bath that is this little blog with some more Star Wars related business.


First up is the Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed. This was a 2hr program that was on the History channel last month which featured interviews with filmmakers, historians and writers about the cultural implications of these movies. It was quite comprehensive and provided me with some insights I'd not come to myself. The fact that Solo's jacket and holster in ANH essentially gives him a cowboy outfit. The addition of the red-robed Royal Guards from ROTJ makes the empires color motif black and red which were power colors Hitler used in his regime. Although a bit verbose, I'd recommend it to hardcore fans.


Next, The Dharma of Star Wars, a book I received for my birthday which explains the basic ideas of Buddhism using the characters and themes of Star Wars. The books is by Matthew Bortolin, who was interviewed for the above documentary. I've been interested in Buddhism, specifically transcendental meditation and this has been a great primer for me. The ways of the Jedi include meditation, focusing on the here and now, forbidding attachment which all factor into Buddhist philosophy. If you're interested in either subject I would recommend it. A very easy read.


Finally, after taking these movies SO seriously, lets laugh at them a bit. Robot Chicken, the 1/2 hour stop motion animated comedy from the minds of Seth Green and Matthew Senreich had an all Star Wars themed episode that debuted last night as part of a Robot Chicken marathon. It was funny, often inside baseball, but overall I recommend again for the hardcore SW fan. Ultimately, Robot Chicken works better moving from subject to subject.

No comments: