Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Sicko

Disturbing movie. My girlfriend's reaction when the credits rolled was: I wanna move to another country. I'd been aware of the drug companies stranglehold on our culture since college but this gave you a face to reinforce the numbers. Michael remains just as passionate as he was in F911 but doesn't place the blame on one political party. He blames our health care system which indeed requires improvement. I believe health care in other countries probably aren't as smooth as they appear here, but you can't argue with the basic facts about America's system which have been verified in several articles. Like most Moore movies, I leave the theater thinking "ok now what should I do?" There are the usual lesson like pay more attention to politics and more educated voting, but it seems like such an insurmountable problem. I was asked if Michael's task is to merely make us aware of an issue, or to exact change. What makes his documentary successful? I think as a movie maker, as long as he has made you aware, he's succeeded. But if he means to become a political activist, then change must be achieved.

1 comment:

Sutocu said...

Sicko is a movie I plan on watching as soon as I have the chance. As to what you can do... Michael Moore writes about it on his site.