Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Movie Review: Hot Fuzz


I came very late to the Shawn of the Dead party. I'm not a fan of the horror genre and also have issues when it feels like a piece of pop art is being pushed too hard. "Oh you HAVE to see that movie!!". In this instance, I was too dismissive. It's a great comedy and so is Pegg/Wright's latest effort, Hot Fuzz. I think they're strongest skill is that they're able to give you an excellent comedy, where you actually care for the characters. I don't care about Ben Stiller's character in...well just about anything. Can you even remember Vince Vaughn's character's name in Wedding Crashers? Pegg really puts some humanity into his portrayal of the obsessive cop, Nick Angel. The film isn't just a send up of Bad Boys either. It has situational humor executed by some great British actors, A tight direction by Wright, and a hilarious final act. A-

No comments: